Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels...

... so I thought.

My weight issues...

About 2 Years ago I reached 191. 1 9 1!!! I’m 5’6 and about to be 28, so not healthy. My eating habits were HORRIBLE, I ate out almost every day. Every morning at work all my co-workers in my dept. in the same building would meet up @ 9am to eat breakfast in the cafeteria. My usual would be a breakfast sandwich, Sour dough bread, cheese, ham, and tons of mayo. It was no tiny sandwich either, they loaded up double everything. I used to be obsessed with Mayo, everything just tasted so much better with Mayo. If I had to estimate, the breakfast sandwich was around 800 delicious calories. Of course I’ll never have something like that again knowing what I know now, but I still crave it sometimes. For lunch I would have what they call in San Diego “California Fries”. The best thing ever!!! Seriously, til this day I will have half an order when I go back to SD, I don’t think I’ll ever give that up. California fries= French fries covered with carne asada (small pieces of steak), cheddar and Mexican cheese, sour cream, guacamole and tons of salsa. This was heaven in my mouth. For dinner when my mom wouldn’t cook (because I didn’t know how), I would run to In N out (best hamburgers on the planet- ask somebody). Or maybe get some chicken tenders from Wendy’s, jack in the box, Rubios, everything bad I had it all the time. Typing all of this out makes me sick and feel really bad about the way I used to treat my body.


One day I went to Forever 21 to find something to wear to the bar/club and boy did I get a reality check. NOTHING fit me and what did , did not look cute. I decided right then and there to lose weight, it was now or NEVER! I signed up to LA Fitness and it’s all history. Running wasn’t my thing at the time, I hated it with a passion like most non-runners do. My best friends became the Stair Master and spin class. It also helped having a lot of family going at the same time. My cousin who is super duper hot and hopefully I’ll have a body like hers one day, would go with me everyday and do some weights. After a few months it was just me doing the weights while she socialized with her other friends. The lbs started melting off fast! My energy went up and my clothes started to fit better. Of course I counted calories at the time and was really really strict with myself. I just kept telling myself the famous words by Kate moss “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels”. I started getting compliments and attention like I’ve never had before. The gym wasn’t so bad because most of my friends and family would go and they made it fun!

I think I wasn’t getting enough fuel at the time, but it was working so I kept eating the same thing. My typical day for breakfast was Special K cereal with skim milk, snack was about 3 egg whites or yogurt, lunch was tuna with lime and a side of carrots (I actually like it and still have it sometimes), snack was fruit and maybe toast with PB, dinner was chicken breast with veggies and rice. I lived on those Rotisserie chickens from the grocery stores, they would last 3 days! Instead of going out 3 nights a week and binge drinking on sugary drinks, I went out once a week and stuck to Vodka with sugar free red bull (I know I know), or Vodka soda with lime- gross stuff but it was the best thing with the lowest calories. I would dance it off anyway right?? ;) I was the happiest I’ve ever been in my life because I was about 145. Although I still had A LOT of work to do, I have never weighed that much in much in my 20’s. The first time I stepped on a scale and actually cared about the number was on my 21st bday and that was still over 150.

Well, when I left San Diego a year and a half ago, I was still under 150 and was ready to work hard at losing 15-20 pounds more. Of course I thought it would be easier because the endurance was already there, and figured I can up my work outs a little more. Boy was I wrong! I plateaued- Big time. I gained about 15 pounds back and today I still have about 4 pounds to go. What a nightmare. This time it’s a little different, I’m training for a Half marathon and have been eating a lot cleaner, counting calories and really cut down on diet stuff and my drinking. However, it is now a slower process! I guess these last 20 pounds are he hardest and slowest to lose. I lose a pound a week, so that means it’ll take me 20 weeks to get to my goal weight. That’s soooooo much and can be very very discouraging! I want to stop counting calories like many other bloggers have done and swear they’ve lost more weight like that, but it just does not work with me this way. My genes are different than theirs. My Latin culture is known to be overweight and stay overweight as we get older. I’m not going to let that happen, ever!!! I run a lot now, I eat healthy but I still have my cupcakes occasionally and drink my wine. Sweets are my weakness and I have to have them, I learned how not to deprive myself and be smart about my choices. This stuff is already natural to me and now I want to stop counting calories and enjoy food and life the way it’s meant to be.

Patience is not my virtue and consistency is not my key. I need support and that’s why I read these blogs every day religiously. So yeah, that’s the struggle I’ve had for a while now and this has been the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but I feel so damn good and can’t wait to finally reach my goal. OH!!! To top it all off, How can I forget to mention this- I met my the love of my life at the gym!  So that was an extra bonus! I’d like to thank the Love bug for these extra 15 pounds! We are both working very hard to get to our healthy goal weight.



Stephanie get’s here tomorrow and I can’t wait!!! See you all later. I will be keeping track and take pics of everything I eat. I don’t know how to post using my iPhone, so twitter pics will have to do… follow me @simisd



Does anyone else struggle with slow weight loss? You do everything you can and it seems like you’re stuck?!

4 comments:

  1. glad to see you started a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your story! It's easy to talk about wanting to lose weight, but sharing numbers and low moments takes guts!
    Please don't be discouraged by losing 1# per week, that's amazing! Anything greater than that is probably related to either fluid or unhealhty habits. Also, try to look at how much you lose in terms of %age body weight. Sure, people on reality weight loss shows lose TONS of weight, but they have a greater percentage of body fat to lose.
    Love the blog, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Laura! It's hard, but I'm trying my best to hang in there :)
    P.S. I love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this for a while now. I'm so behind on reading blogs. Thank you for sharing your story. Losing 1 pound a week is fantastic! There's been weeks I've lost just .2 lbs. and I made a choice to always celebrate those loses. :) Be encouraged, you're making huge steps into a healthy lifestyle. Blogs are a great way to stay motivated and encouraged. :) Go girl!

    Lauren
    http://www.teamgiles.com

    ReplyDelete